Wednesday 24 November 2010

More Than Enough

French wallpaper, 1825 | Hirschl & Adler Galleries, Inc. | Architectural Digest, October 1995

I grew up in a house that had an ottoman that was covered with a needlepoint of a cornucopia. As a child, I found the concept and the image a little strange. Now, immersed as I am in things Neoclassic, I'm rather fond of cornucopia, and I take notice when I see them. And what I've been noticing is that cornucopia often come in pairs, which makes a lot of sense from a design perspective (we can't resist the symmetrical flourishes), but of course if one cornucopia represents plenty, two must be more than enough.

On your Thanksgiving, I hope that you are able to celebrate the plenty in your life, and just to remind you, I offer this posting of double cornucopia.






Russian Imperial Style, by Laira Cerwinske. Photograph by Anthony Johnson, 1990





Ivan Bilibin, Abrams Aurora, 1981


The doorway to Peter Paul Rubens' home and studio. Photography by Marianne Haas, 1982.



No comments:

Post a Comment