Thursday 15 March 2012

Please Sign In, Mystery Guest

Mark D. Ruffner, 1971

My last posting on the very idealized likeness of Napoleon Bonaparte caused me to think about the man and his tremendous ego.

As I mentioned in my post about John Wanamaker, I am fascinated by graphology and have studied it extensively for years. To me, it makes perfect sense that the words we jot down are "brainwriting" rather than "handwriting." And as we look at our own writing, we can see subtle or not-so-subtle changes as our moods and circumstances shift.

The progressive signatures of Napoleon Bonaparte are a splendid example. Below, we see Napoleon on the rise:



Now Napoleon is in complete control and has proclaimed himself Emperor!


Alas, Napoleon's fortunes decline, and he is gradually resigned to defeat.


The last signature is from his will, written on St. Helena. All these signatures are from The Stein and Day Book of World Autographs, by Ray Rawlins, 1978.

.   .   .

No comments:

Post a Comment