Wednesday 30 October 2013

Halloween, 1957

I'll wish you a Happy Halloween by sharing a pumpkin that my father carved 56 years ago. At that time, we lived in a bungalow, in a small Virgina town.

My maternal grandfather, who was never without his Zeiss Ikon camera, took the photo. He documented virtually every aspect of our 1950s life, for which I am now very grateful.

My grandfather was an extremely meticulous person, and the back of every photo bears a series of numbers, sometimes in rows and sometimes in columns, as though they're waiting to be added up.

photo from Etsy
That was back in the day when Kodak film came in metal containers like the ones above, and my grandfather neatly stored film negatives in hundreds of such containers, in stacked cooking pans. My guess is that he printed three copies of the 22nd negative, from the 514th container of film. The other numbers probably related to his adjustments in the darkroom. That sure is a far cry from digital photos, thumb drives and iPhoto!

Wishing you a Happy Halloween!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment