Tuesday 5 July 2011

Il Papiro



Recently, my friend Yvonne gave me this charming pen holder from Il Papiro. It was a delightful reminder of a trip to Florence I took several years ago with my friend Sandy. I have a great love for beautiful paper, and I knew even before our departure that buying good marbled paper would be high on my list of Florentine experiences, right up there with visiting the Uffizi.


My favorite marbled paper is this feathery pattern, probably because it always brings to mind the end papers of finely bound books. I bought sheets of this as possible back-matting. Il Papiro sells other patterns, too, like the one below, which truly looks like marble.


We befriended Ricardo, the charming manager of the Il Papiro stores in Florence, who gave us a demonstration of this age-old art.


My focus was on paper, but Il Papiro has many stationery items, including beautifully bound notebooks. I couldn't resist getting several sheets of this quintessential Florentine paper, which I've somehow come to associate with Christmastime.


I enjoyed Il Papiro so much that I came to regret that I had not gotten a photograph of the storefront. I guess I voiced that regret several times because a year later my brother visited Florence, and upon his return, painted this lovely view of the store's entrance for me. What a thoughtful gift!


 Firenze   |   Venezia   |   Roma   |   Siena   |   New York   |   Palm Beach

.

No comments:

Post a Comment