Friday 27 April 2012

My Rare Florida Spoonbill


Every once in a while I get the urge to make a collage. Usually I have a subject in mind, and the image of John James Audubon's Roseate Spoonbill has been rattling around in my head for quite a while. So I had to get it out.

historymiamiarchives.org
Above is Audubon's version of the spoonbill. Audubon's original print measures approximately 38"x24" and is currently valued at $235,000.

© Mark D. Ruffner, 2012
 And this is my own version,
The Rare Florida Spoonbill.

en.wikipedia.org   |  commons.wikimedia.org

John James Audubon (1785-1851) spent much of his his career producing The Birds of America, a series of 435 hand-colored engravings, with birds all at life-size or larger. He sold the series by subscription, and his subscribers included the kings of England and France, as well as major institutions of the day.

The Roseate Spoonbill, found in Texas and Florida, was highly prized for its feathers, and by the end of the Civil War, had disappeared completely from Texas. Only a couple dozen remained in Florida. Today, spoonbills found in Florida are actually the Mexican Roseate Spoonbill.

In writing this post, I have relied heavily upon the excellent site of Graham Arader, and I encourage you to read more about John James Audubon there.

I offer you two views of John James Audubon. I can't help thinking that with his sharp eyes and nose, he resembles the American Bald Eagle.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment