Thursday 4 July 2013

The Fine Art of Madeline von Foerster

I have recently become a convert to Pinterest, and one of my first boards is on "cabinets of curiosity." (I've been thinking of doing a painting, or series of paintings, on that venerable way of displaying collections.)

Ex Mare  |  Madeline von Forester
In my Pinterest surfing, I've discovered the great artwork of Madeline von Foerster, and I wanted to share it with you. The piece above, Ex Mare (from the sea, in Latin), is a prime example of von Foerster's craftsmanship and delightful vision. Now look at the bottom shelf and the beautiful rendition of litter, the litter that often kills sea life. Von Foerster has regularly contributed her artwork to the cause of conservation.

Ebony Cabinet  |  Madeline von Forester

Frog Cabinet  |  Madeline von Forester
Donne Unica  |  Madeline von Forester
Madeline von Foerster works in a technique of oil mixed with egg tempera, achieving a look of the Flemish masters. Her work recalls the Northern Renaissance, but incorporates a surrealism that is often a commentary on modern life. (Donna Unica translates as "Women Only.")

Pangolin  |  Madeline von Forester
Collection Cabinet  |  Madeline von Forester
Valentine  |  Madeline von Forester
I hope you have enjoyed these images as much as I have. You can access Madeline von Foerster's own site and see more of von Foerster's art by clicking on the photo of her, below. Be sure to check out her page on technique.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment