Monday 1 July 2013

Decorative Victorian Typography


click to enlarge
As I've been sharing my collection of antique advertising with you, I've usually concentrated on the fronts of trade cards, which are often beautiful examples of 19th century lithography.

But the backs are sometimes just as spectacular in their decoration and lettering. They're also very imaginative in their design. Look, for example, at the "L" in "Liverpool!"

You'll notice that all of the examples I share in this posting have curved lettering and some degree of bannering.

This example comes from a very small card, only about two inches high. It's greatly enlarged for your viewing.






One final observation that I'd make is that almost all of the typography shown here (if indeed not all of it) is hand-lettered. Just one more reason that I enjoy collecting and studying these little marvels!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment