Monday 30 September 2013

A Sweet Treat For You

Mark D. Ruffner, 1984
I was sorting through my flat file recently and came upon an illustration I did for a Florida magazine almost 30 years ago. The idea was that if one subscribed to Florida Trend, the new subscriber would be rewarded with a baker's dozen of fresh donuts.

Mark D. Ruffner, 1984
The mailer was designed to arrive looking like a closed baker's box, sealed with an adhesive tab. When one lifted the cover . . .

click to enlarge   |   Mark D. Ruffner, 1984
. . . there would be a dozen juicy, glazed donuts! I achieved the illustration with a mixture of acrylics, airbrushed dyes, pencil and charcoal.

illustration by Paul Davis
I looked to the great illustrator Paul Davis for style. Paul Davis continues to be a source of inspiration, and you can read my posting about him and his iconic work here.

Mark D. Ruffner, 1984
Also inside the mailer was a die-cut 13th donut, redeemable at our local supermarket.

There have been some professional hazards connected with being a commercial artist, and one of them was that in order to complete this particular assignment, I went through two dozen glazed donuts!

Have a great week, and don't overdo.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment